This website only uses strictly necessary cookies to improve your experience and deliver our services Accept More info

Govan Athletic Football Club

Match Reports

18/2/06 Govan Athletic v Old Standians

Govan 1sts were unlucky not to get back to winning ways agaisnt Old Standians in Division 2. Old Standians came out 2-1 winners but were made to hang on by a spirited Govan side, who had done enough to deserve something out of the game. Govans goal came from Man of the Match, Matt Bass on his 1st team debut.


'Govan Athletic 1-2 Old Standians

Standians travelled to Marple Bridge to face Govan with five first team regulars missing through injury, Ian Sykes, Rhys Yeates, Chris Gatcliffe, Adam O’Shaughnessy and Goalkeeper Paul Hinchy all missed the trip to Stockport. One bright note for the Standians manager was the return from injury of French striker El Strom Di’e who went straight into the side to partner Abbott upfront. On a poor surface this game was always going to be a scrappy affair and Standians just reverted to a long ball to make the most of the pace of Abbott and Di’e five minutes in Di’e latchedon to a ball over the top from Young but the keeper didn’t buy his dropof the shoulder and gathered the ball at the strikers feet, two minutes later the Frenchman was in again and didn’t make the same mistake smashing the ball past the advancing keeper into the roof of the net. Govan rarely threatened and until the last minute of the half didn’t create chance on goal, but some slack marking from a free kick thirty yards out allowed the Govan centre half Willow to creep in round the back and tap in at the back post, which left standians going in at half time scratching there heads and wondering how they were level. Some sensible words were given out at half time and Standians again started brightly with Di’e and Abbott causing the Govan defence all kinds of problems first Healey found Di’e who had pulled left who then dribbled into the box and found Abbott unmarked on the back stick who seemed to apply the perfect finish but for a superb save from the Govan keeper next Abbott broke the offside trap but could only rattle the post with his effort, and you just felt maybe it wasn’t going to be the Whitefield sides day, but then a break through a lovely weighted ball from centre half Critchley fell into the path of Di’e he then beat the fullback and raced into the box this time the keeper bought his dummie as the Frenchman rounded the keeper and slotted home much to the relief of the Standians players, manager and few fans that had made the trip. Standians saw out the last ten minutes as the game just fizzled out without any real incident. And the Whitefield side were just pleased to leave with the three points.

Lawler, Young, Nolan, Coleman, Critchley, Yeates I, Riley, Healey, Jepson, Di’e, Abbott. SUBS, Mai '

11/2/06 Heaton Mersey v Govan Athletic- Rhodes Cup

Govan Athletic were knocked out of the Rhodes cup at the weekend, despite a spirited display against Premiership leaders Heaton Mersey. The game finnished 2-0 to Heaton but Govan were more than a match for most of the game, with only the superior finnishing being the differnce between the two sides. Man of the match deservedly went to Ben Smith who had an excellent game in the centre of the park.

4/2/06 Northenden Village v Govan Athletic

Govan's winning run came to an end being deservedly beat 3-0 away at Northenden. The highlight of the game was a Sam Moxon drive which was touched on to the bar by the Northenden keeper. MOTM went to Dan Miller for his performance up front.

28/1/06 Govan Athletic v Droysden Amateurs- League

Govan 1sts kept up their excellent run of form, beating Droysden Amateurs 1-0 at Brabyns Park. In a mostly one-sided game Govan came out on top with a goal from Jack Norbury from the penalty spot with 5 minutes remaining. Govan enjoyed most of the possession but both teams failed to properly test the keepers. Man of the match went to Josh Wilson who had another solid game in central midfield.

21/1/06 Govan Athletic v Old Stretfordians- Rhodes Cup

Govan Athletic 1st team made it five wins out of the last six matches by beating Division one's Old Stretfordians 4-3. Old Stretfordians, who are a whole league above Govan, started the match the brighter and had a chance to get off the mark within the first few minutes, but were unable to convert. This seemed to wake Govan up and they quickly began to dominate the game. The constant Govan pressure eventually paid off with Henry Roberts tapping in from close range after his orginal shot was blocked and Josh Wilson lobbing the keeper to make in 2-0 at half time. In truth Govan could have been three or four up at this stage but had failed to capitilise on their chances.

The second half started alot quicker with Old Stretfordians having four chances in the first five minutes, but only manageing to convert one. This pressure again got Govan into action and Josh Wilson curled the ball around the Old Stretfordians keeper to restore Govans two goal advantage half way through the second period. This looked like it was enough to win the game but two defensive lapses within a minute allowed Old Strets to draw equal with five minutes remaining. Either team looked like they could win the game at this point but Sam Roberts caught Old Strets on the break and cooley slotted home to seal the match 4-3 in favour of Govan, who now progress to the next round of the Rhodes Cup.

'Paper Cutting from the Stockport Express on 25/1/06'

Privacy notice    Cookie policy